The air is crisp and cool, with a hint of the aroma of a wood burning stove...it is officially apple-picking season!
It's a great feeling climbing apple trees, trying to get the best fruit, taking that first bite of a sun ripened juicy handpicked apple.
|Aren't they tempting?|
|Kishore carrying the goods.|
Let's start with the basic and work from there.
For Apple Chips:
Easy 2 step recipe, with addictive results!
1. Preheat your oven to 275 F. Wash and dry 3 apples. Slice them thinly using either a knife or a mandolin.
2. Place them separately and evenly spaced on a baker's sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the oven for 90 minutes, after 60 minutes turn them.
Allow them to cool and enjoy!
For Apple Butter:
The first time I had apple butter was at a bed and breakfast in Virginia. It was served on homemade whole wheat toast with hand churned butter, it was absolutely delicious.
Here is my more spiced up version:
4 lbs Apples, cored and quartered
1 cup Raw Honey*
1/2 cup Apple Cider
2 Cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp Ground Cardamom
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Allspice
*Vegan- Agave Nectar
1. Put all the ingredients together into a stockpot on the stove on low, and stir well to coat the apples.
3. Once the Apples have cooked down, turn off the heat and allow to cool.
It can also be used in the next recipe....
For the Rustic Apple Galette:
This is a simple and quick recipe that always has a pleasing result, and it is easier then apple pie.
For the crust:
2 cups of All purpose Flour
1/4 tsp of salt
1 1/2 sticks of Cold Unsalted Butter, cut into cubes*
2 Tblsp of cold water
For the Filling:
4 Apples, Cored and cut into slices
1 tsp Grated Lemon Peel
3 Tblsp Apple Butter
The juice of 1 Lemon
*Vegan- Vegetable shortening; Almond Milk
1. Blend flour and salt then add butter and blend in a food processor until mix resembles coarse meal.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of water and blend just until dough begins to stick together.
3. Gather dough into ball and flatten into disk using your hands. Wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
4. Roll out dough to about 1/8-inch-thick round, 14 inches in diameter. I like to use a 9" pan to cut a circle in the dough. Then transfer the dough to a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 450°F
5. Combine the Apple slices, 1 tablespoon Apple Butter, Lemon juice and Lemon peel in a bowl; make sure the apples are covered.
6. Spread the remaining Apple Butter over the crust crust, leaving about a 1 1/2-inch border.
7. Arrange apple slices in circles on top of the Apple Butter, overlapping slightly.
8. Fold the crust border over apples.
9. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle crust edges and apples with remaining powdered sugar.