"Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked.
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
Where's the peck of pickled peppers that Peter Piper picked?"
|Peck, peck, peck, peck, peck, peck, peck!|
Well after a little research, it seems like Mr. Piper really liked pickled peppers because a peck is equal to roughly 16 pints! That's 16 pints of pickled peppers that he put away!
This recipe is only for 2 pints but if you have a hankering as bad as Peter I'm sure you can multiply the recipe!
Yields: 2 pints
2 lbs of Sliced Jalapeños*
1 1/2 cups White Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
2 TBLPs Sugar
1 Tsp Salt (Iodine free)
1/2 Tsp Turmeric
*You can use Green or Red Jalapeños, or any other spicy pepper.
1. Slice the jalapeños about 1/4" thick.
2. Heat the vinegar mixture on the stove.
3. Add the garlic, sugar, salt, and turmeric to the vinegar mixture and stir well.
4. When the vinegar starts boiling add the sliced jalapeños. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
5. As soon as they start to turn olive green, take the pot off the heat.
*If you are using Red Jalapeños, cook them till they turn bright red and aren't too soft, this will be less time than the Green ones.
6. Spoon the peppers into 2 sterilized glass jars. Then ladle the vinegar mixture into the jars, leaving 1/2" of headspace.
Once they've cooled the peppers are ready to eat, to preserve you can place them in the fridge or start the canning process.