Needless to say we've been eating a lot of them, and to keep it interesting I like to take inspiration from world cuisine.
This weekend we got a lovely bottle of Sweet Red Hungarian Wine, and it inspired me to use my Hot Hungarian Paprika to make a hearty goulash with root vegetables and green lentils for dinner.
It proved to be a winner!
This hearty veggie and lentil stew is flavorful, with just the right amount of spicy kick. It's delicious, served topped with Sour Cream and Crusty Homemade Sourdough bread on the side.
Here's my recipe for Spicy Root Veggie Goulash:
1 large Red Onion chopped
2 large Celery Stalks chopped
1 large Carrot chopped
1 large Russet Potato peeled/ chopped
1 small Butternut Squash chopped
1/2 cup of chopped Tomatoes
1/4 cup Sun-dried Tomatoes chopped
1 cup Green Lentils
1 tsp minced garlic
2 crushed dried red chilis
2 tsp Thyme
2 tsp Hot Hungarian Paprika
1 Tblsp Tomato Paste
1 1/4 cup Vegetable stock
Extras: Sour Cream, Crusty Bread
Prep Work: Soak Sun-dried Tomatoes in 1/2 cup of warm water for 15 minutes.
1. Heat the olive oil in a stockpot and add the garlic and chilis. Stir till fragrant.
3. Mix the tomato paste with the vegetable stock and pour over the vegetables.
4. Then add the lentils, the soaked sun-dried tomatoes, paprika, and thyme.
5. Bring to a boil, the reduce heat to a simmer, and cook covered for 20 minutes.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer covered for another 15 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
7. Salt to taste. Serve topped with Sour Cream and Crusty Bread.
Enjoy!!I have entered this in My Legume Love Affair #81, hosted by Cooking w/ Siri, Lisa's Vegetarian Kitchen and Susan's The Well Seasoned Cook.