mango rice, sautéed mushrooms, spinach salad, samosas (veg & non-veg), eggplant parmesan, and then dessert.
This year instead of making Tsoureki, I decided to make a sweet danish bread filled with homemade cheese and homemade blueberry jam from last year's garden. I also made one with some pineapple curd from last summer.
I would suggest when making this opt for a fruit curd or whole fruit jam instead of a jelly, because jelly will bubble right out of the bread!
This lightly sweet soft bread lattice encases a tasty, tangy, sweet mixture of soft cream cheese and whole fruit blueberry jam.
Here is my recipe for Braided Fruit and Cheese Danish:
Makes 2 Medium Sized Braided Loaves, Serves 20
5 cups Unbleached Flour
1 cup Warm Milk
1/2 cup Yogurt
1/4 cup Softened Butter
1/3 cup Sugar
1 1/2 TBLSP Yeast
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Sour Cream
1/4 cup Cream Cheese
1/4 cup Fruit Curd or Jam
1 tsp Lemon Juice
1 Egg Yolk
Sugar Sprinkles Optional
Other Items: Parchment Paper, Baker's sheet
1. Proof the yeast by mixing the warmed milk with the sugar and add the yeast. Let it sit for 5 minutes if a sponge is formed it's ready to use. If not retry with new yeast.
2. Sift the flour and add the sugar, salt, butter, yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract, and the yeast mixtures into the flour.
3. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a towel and place in a warm place till doubled in size. Approximately 1-1.5hrs.
5. Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and divide the dough into 2 equal balls. Take one and roll it out on parchment paper into a rectangle about 14" long by 8" wide
7. To close: first fold over both ends, then like a braid gently place alternating pieces down making sure they are in contact with each other in the middle. Cover and let rise 15 minutes.
*If you pull the sides too tight or too loose they will open completely during baking.*
8. Preheat oven to 375F. Brush egg yolk over the loaf. Optional: Sprinkle with Sugar sprinkles. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.