Skip to main content

Featured

St. Patrick's Day Recipes 2024

Wishing you all a very Happy St Patrick's Day! Erin Go Braugh - Ireland Forever! Here are a few easy Irish recipes you may want to add to your menu: 

Spinach Chili Khachapuri (Georgian Egg Boats)

This past Saturday was a beautifully sunny day, and warm enough to go out with a light jacket. Since we both work during the week we rarely, if ever, get to have breakfast together; so weekends are reserved for special breakfast and brunches. I was inspired by this particularly sunny day to make a fusion recipe, something I had once as a child and to add my own spin on it. It's funny the things you remember...
When I was a kid I had a friend named Dmitri, his family had moved to NYC after the dissolution of the USSR, but I don't know from which area; but now I'm going to guess Georgia. I remember one time his mother making egg boats for me and mom when we went over to visit their apartment. The egg boat she made was filled to the brim with bubbling cheese and had a bright yellow baked egg right in the middle, it was so very bright and pretty.
Recently, after watching an episode of "Street Food Around the World - Georgia" with Kishore I recognized what they called, Adjaruli Khachapuri, as that tasty egg boat I had had all those years ago. For my version, a whole wheat flat bread crust is filled with a spicy mixture of baby spinach, feta, and melted mozzarella, then topped with a baked quail egg. Chili Chutney added just the right amount of garlic-ginger and spiciness to this dish. This is a great healthy vegetarian dish, perfect for anytime of day or any meal, it also brings a little extra sunshine to your plate.

Here's my recipe for Spinach Chili Khachapuri:
Makes 4 Egg Boats

Ingredients:

1 cup Unbleached Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup Fresh Mozzarella, shredded
1/2 cup Feta, crumbled
2 cups Fresh Baby Spinach, chopped
1 Tbsp Chili Chutney
4 Quail eggs
 1 ½ tsp Dry Active Yeast
1 tsp Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
12 tsp Pepper
1 ½ Tbsp Olive Oil
½ cup Warm water

* Your favorite Hot Sauce can also be used

Directions:

1. Proof yeast by mixing sugar and warm water thoroughly, and then add yeast. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, it's ready when it's foamy.

2. Add 1 Tbsp oil, flour, and salt; and mix until dough forms.




3. Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic and cover loosely; set in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.


4. Preheat oven to 500°


5. Heat a pan with remaining oil to medium and add chopped spinach. Add a pinch of salt, pepper, and Chili Chutney*. Cook spinach to bright green, and slightly wilted then take off the heat and allow to cool.


6. Combine cheeses and cooled spinach mixture in a bowl; set aside. Punch down dough and divide into quarters.


7. On a piece of lightly floured surface, roll one section of dough into a 8" circle about 1⁄8" thick. Spread a quarter of the spinach cheese mixture over the middle of the dough, leaving a 1⁄2" border. On one side of the circle, tightly roll dough toward the center, then repeat on the opposite end. Pinch and twist the open ends to seal them well, making a boat shape. Repeat with the remaining.


8. Transfer to a baking tray; bake until light crispy brown, 10 minutes.
9. Take them out and add 1 egg into the center of each boat. Return to oven for 3–4 minutes, or until egg white is set.



 Serve Hot and Enjoy!




I have entered this post in February's Simply Eggcellent hosted by Dom at Belleau Kitchen. I have also entered it in this month's Eat Your Greens, hosted by Shaheen at A2K - Seasonal Veg Table and the Veg Hog.



Comments

  1. Oh thank you so much for sharing with EatYourGreens. Love this. I have had a Georgian Khachapuri bookmarked forever, ever since I lived in Glasgow and have yet to make it, I will have to find it. I love your egg version - stylist and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting, it's been awhile I have to get back to my greens! It's a real simple recipe but it's total comfort food, you'll love it! :)

      Delete
  2. This seems like a really lovely traditional recipe and I also like your childhood memories of it. Also many thanks from me for sharing with Eat Your Greens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting, it's definitely a traditional recipe at heart but new at the same time. Looking forward to the roundup! :)

      Delete
  3. these look so beautiful and just up my street... I adore pastry with baked eggs so this is the ultimate dinner for me... please! Thanks for linking to Simply Eggcellent xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts