Skip to main content

Featured

St. Patrick's Day Recipes 2024

Wishing you all a very Happy St Patrick's Day! Erin Go Braugh - Ireland Forever! Here are a few easy Irish recipes you may want to add to your menu: 

Happy St. Valentine's Day - Strawberry Shortbread Cookies

Happy St. Valentine's Day Everyone! 

It's been a very cold past couple of days, so cold in fact they've put frostbite warnings on the news in our local area. We've both been tired and have lost track of days due to recent family events, but as always Kishore knows how to cheer us up and set us right. As I was cooking up dinner Saturday, from the record player in the next room I hear my all time favorite George Harrison song "Here Comes the Sun"...

"Little darling, It's been a long, cold lonely winter
Little darling, It feels like years since it's been here...
Here comes the sun, Here comes the sun, and I say, It's all right...
Little darling, I feel that ice is slowly melting
Little darling, It seems like years since it's been clear...
Here comes the sun, Here comes the sun, It's all right, It's all right."



It always makes me smile, the sense of hope in this song and the comfort in the line "It's all right." As dark as the days have been, the sun is coming, it's going to be clear and as Kishore tells me, "It's going to be all right love" and that definitely returns a smile to my face. :)
This year, I wanted to make a special sweet treat for my Sweetheart for Valentine's day but our cupboards have been a little bare, so I decided to use what we had on hand and make a Spring Strawberry Shortbread with Strawberry Icing.
So to celebrate and meditate on spring, I used our Homemade Strawberry Preserves and Strawberry Lemon Syrup from our picking trip this past summer for these slightly sweet shortbreads. The strawberry  flavors meld to give a fresh hint of spring in this treat.

Here's my recipe for Strawberry Shortbread Cookies :

Makes 36,  2" cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup Unbleached Flour
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
1.5 Tbsp Strawberry Preserves
1/4 tsp Almond Extract
Pinch of salt

For Icing:
1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Strawberry Preserves(Strawberry Syrup), 1/4 tsp Light Corn Syrup
1/4 tsp Milk

Preheat Oven to 350F.

Directions:
1. Cream sugar, butter, strawberry preserves, and almond extract together.




2. Add flour and mix, use your hands to form a dough.



3. Lightly flour a working surface, roll out dough to about 1/8", then use a cookie cutter to make shapes and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.



4. While cookies are baking, make the strawberry icing. After cookies are finished in the oven, transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool. Once cookies are cool, drizzle icing randomly over cookies.

Enjoy!


Tell me what are your plans for Valentine's Day?

I have also entered this post in a Treat Petite Event Like It, Love It, Gotta Have It, hosted by United CakedomThe Baking Explorer, and Cakeyboi.



Comments

  1. I can see that you are much better at rolling out dough than I am. It's always too think or too thick! Cute biscuits : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona, I just think it's my Grandma's heavy old wooden rolling pin, that'll thin anything out! :)

      Delete
  2. I love that the strawberries are incorporated into the cookie dough and not just as a decoration! Thank you for linking up to this month's Treat Petite!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts