Whole Wheat Artisan Salt Soft Pretzels
A while ago I bought some Artisan Sea Salts from Pepper Creek Farms, and I've been trying to figure out a way to use them.
|Pretzel sellers in NYC Circa 1936|
And not just any kind of pretzel, but those soft, salty warm pretzels.
The kind of pretzel you can only get in NYC, off a rather dubious looking cart outside a Subway station or in Central Park. After all it is a New York City tradition!
Now imagine those same pretzels topped with Applewood Smoked Sea Salt, Hiwa Kai Black Lava Sea Salt and Himalayan Pink Sea Salt, Yumm!
Here is my recipe for these Soft, Salty, Hot Pretzels:
Whole Wheat Artisan Salt Soft PretzelsMakes 12 Medium Sized Pretzels
2 cups Unbleached Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Wheat Germ
2 packets of Yeast
1 Tsp Salt
2 TBLSP of Honey
1 1/2 cups Warm Whole Milk
1 Large Egg
1/2 cup Baking Soda
Course Salt for Topping
Prep Work: Preheat the oven to 450F.
Start boiling a pot of water.
Beat Egg in a small bowl.
1. Mix Flour, Wheat Germ and Salt throughly.
2. Proof yeast by mixing honey and warm milk throughly, then add yeast. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes, it's ready when it's foamy.
3. Add yeast mixture to flour mixture and thoroughly mix. Dough should be tacky not sticky, or dry.
4. Knead until smooth on a dry surface or baking mat.
6. Slowly add the baking soda to the boiling water.
7. Add two pretzels at a time to the boiling water for 1 minute. Take out Pretzels and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
8. Brush with egg and Sprinkle with the Course Salt.
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tops are rich brown.
10. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool slightly.