Skip to main content

Featured

20+ Simple Easter Recipes

Here are some Simple, Easy Easter Recipes you may want to add to your menu:

Rice Pudding - Milk Payasam


Growing up my Abuela would make her delicious rice pudding (Arroz con Leche) for special occasions and right before Christmas. It was always sweet and milky with lots of cinnamon and cloves. As kids we would try to find the cinnamon stick in the pudding because sugar seemed to gravitate towards them. It's been a long time since Abuela's made that delicious rice pudding, and the closest I've had to it was Amma's when we visited India. The textures are the same, the major difference between Abuela's and Amma's is that her's has cardamom. So I decided to bridge the gap with my recipe using my Chai Spice Mix which includes cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom.

Here's my recipe:

Rice Pudding - Milk Payasam

Emily (Cooking for Kishore)

Rice Pudding - Milk PayasamIngredients

  • 1/4 cup Long Grain Rice
  • 2 cups Milk
  • 1 12 oz can Evaporated Milk
  • 1/8 cup Sugar
  • 1 tsp Chai Spice Mix
  • 1/4 tsp Saffron

Instructions

  1. Place the rice, milk, and evaporated milk in a pot and bring to a boil.
  2. Keep stirring and simmer until the grains have expanded and the milk has reduced by half.
  3. Add the sugar and Chai Spice Mix and stir. After taking it off the heat add the saffron threads and mix.
  4. Serve warm or chilled.
Yield: 4
Prep Time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 30 mins.
Total time: 40 mins.
Tags: rice pudding, rice pudding recipe, arroz con leche, arroz con leche recipe, milk payasam, milk payasam recipe, festival recipes, south indian recipe


I have entered this post in Inheritance Recipes, hosted by  Pebble Soup and Coffee & Vanilla

Comments

  1. It looks absolutely delicious. I has been a lot colder lately here in Brighton so I'm drinking chai constantly. This sounds like the ultimate dessert for me. Thanks for submitting to the Inheritance Recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts